Monday, October 8, 2012

mattress covers and law degrees


Sorry this one is so late, the pace has really picked up around here!

Monday, I committed to watching the film “Gigantic” after a lovely dinner with the Noones. I’m trying to get as many films in during the week as possible, an ambition that usually results in a staggering one or two. That being said, I watched “Gigantic” on Brett’s recommendation and as a continued commitment to the glorious Paul Dano.

Tuesday was such a lovely day. Sun was almost shining and I had an hour break after work to sit in a coffee shop and drink nice green tea and watch the sun go down. Afterwards, I met up with Hannah and we went to this amazing exhibition. The artist was a friend of Hannah’s who used mattress covers to create Renaissance era clothing pieces. Massive gowns, high collared vests all created from the material covering your bedsprings! Not only did she create and style the pieces, she painted huge canvases that rested behind the gowns. Said canvases had celebrities like Keith Richards painted on them, wearing her fashions. The celebrities varied in age and genre but were amazingly human-like and even better, rocking her outfits. Such an impressive exhibition and further, such an impressive artist!

Wednesday I took on the new challenge of boxing at the gym. I’ll never go back to standard Wednesday cardio. What a workout! The camaraderie in the class is also tangible, with everyone supporting each other in all of the partner work and throughout the grueling circuits. Except for the guy with small hands who always ended up being my partner. I was no less excited about it than he was. He kept trying to work the circuits so that he could partner with his strange girlfriend and essentially corrupted the entire established system. Unfortunately, his frustration for the establishment (and/or his small hands) was taken out on both my hands and the punching bag I had to hold for him.

Thursday was Girl’s Night with Martha and Rach at Jackie’s beautiful house. After an ambitious drive, we pulled up to Jackie’s home, the front of the house composed of two story windows overlooking an impressively diverse and abundant garden. When you first walk in, you’re immediately surrounded by an Eastern ambiance, an ambiance created by the coy pond and various Buddha idols littered throughout the garden. The house winds into a wooden kitchen, with warm walls and darkly colored curtains that assured a rustic pizza-having experience. The ambiance was perturbed only by the cat door through which the cat moved quite violently, often causing us to fear some type of intruder. We made homemade pizzas (Jackie providing us with homemade dough as a base!) with the most beautiful toppings of salmon and feta and fresh vegetables. The dynamic was just so good, a tangible and female connection was very present in our recounting embarrassing stories, high school flames and travel loves.

Friday, I got to go into the music magazine office and kick my weekend off in the best way. The moment I was sure that it is the best place to work ever was when my writing manager came around with “the beer cart”, a customary practice for 6pm on Fridays. I went to Shabbat at Brett’s house after and we committed to a good ol’ Friday night movie with Steph and Kaz. We watched Taken and I was forced to “keep my comments to myself” (I began to suggest that there was a rampant case of overacting in the film) and worship Liam Neeson alongside the men in the house.

Saturday, I went to the gym early in the morning with the ambition of “starting my day off right”, though a case for staying in bed could certainly be made. I also knew the afternoon held Grand Final parties. The Grand Final is our Superbowl equivalent and the whole of Melbourne was rapt with the afternoon of Australian football ahead. Ever the party-hosters, the Noones threw a party to celebrate the football and the neck-in-neck competition. Afterwards, I met up with Brett and Matty for a night at the exclusive ‘Liberty Social’, where the hip go to pretend to dance poorly but not care because it is ironic. We did just that and followed it up with late night chips and taxis. As we waited in the taxi ranks, we befriended everyone around us, reaching out in solidarity of being way too cold, slightly inebriated and too tired to still be wearing heels.

Sunday, I met Ellie, Matty and Brett for brunch at a lovely little place called “Spout”. It has become quite a routine for us and our Sunday debriefs always provide tremendous laughs. I stayed with Ellie and went to the fruit market (“the best in town” as assured by Els) then went on to Maddie’s house to catch up and have tea. We combed through her latest Spring fashions and committed to tutoring Australia’s youth in the variety of languages we could offer, essentially monopolizing the tutoring market and fostering globalization one child at a time. Afterwards, I cooked a big soup (that’s right guys, still freezing here) for the new “college house”. The Noone parents left for the week so we’ve officially established a bachelor/bachelorette pad intact with baked scones and chicken noodle soup. Getting wild. Caught my third movie of the week (beating the odds!) and watched “Blow” with Martha, Jack and his friend, Seb. Seb was very moved by the film, the poor dear. His 17 year old mind was pretty upset by the idea of a life so wrought with sadness. I advised him not to get into the drug trade and also to not get a law degree.

Love you guys so much! Here are some great tunes!

Taken By Trees: Large

Perfume Genius: Take Me Home

The Concretes: You Can't Hurry Love

The Walkmen: Dance With Your Partner (yay!)



lots of love xx




No comments:

Post a Comment